I love simulation games. Whether its building cities and their roads, getting the railroads up and running in the 1800′s, racing around a track or flying through the air, I love them all. Recently I came across World of Planes from the makers of Wings of Prey a bit of a different spin on the WWII flight sim games as its being touted as a MMO\ persistent world experience rather than the single player sim game.
Gaijin’s entered the sim world with their first game released in 2009 for consoles, IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey. What was great about Birds of Prey was it was the first time a flight simulation of WWII was released on a console system. Obviously it wasn’t a sim at the level of PC’s, but when you;re on a console, a sim of any sort is a blessing really. Soon after the console release Wings of Prey was released for the PC too. The PC version gave Gaijin an opportunity to expand the simulation side of things, adding in engine management, red outs and black outs, TrackIR support, and other features.
World of Planes isn’t even into its official beta yet, but there is an alpha that you can download (1.1GB) and try out. Being an alpha there is no gameplay, its really only there to help the devs test the user experience as it sends data back to Gaijin once you have run it. They just released a new Cuban Trailer which has real time in game footage and looks very nice if I say so myself. I have signed up for the beta so if I get more details ill be sure to let you know.
So what do we know so far?
- It will be a Free to Play WWII Flight MMO
- PC and Mac versions will be available
- A Console version called will also be made available
- Gaijin has stated players will also be exposed to combat on land and sea.
- World of Planes boasts the ability to take part in all of the major WWII combat battles, while fighting against real players from around the world.
- You’ll be able to play as a lone hero, join a squadron, create a clan, and battle it out over a highly detailed world.
- Gaijin is using today’s satellite imagery in conjunction with real maps from the 1940s to recreate historically accurate landscapes for World of Planes.
- There will be hundreds of historically accurate aircraft’s with detailed cockpits and the correct weaponry for each model of plane. These aircrafts come from both the allied and axis countries, including: Germany; the USSR; Great Britain; Japan; and the USA.
Just a tip, if you do download the alpha and have crashing issues change your audio to stereo rather than 5.1 or 7.1
simulation games,world of planes,world of planes beta download,world of planes download,ww2 planes,MMO plane games,plane mmo games,airplane games,mmo airplane games,airplane mmo