So we've been discussing (@thulfiqaar @AhmadSA @kreax especially) on starting a critique group. So let's do it. The main benefit is to get stronger in your artistic technical skill, for whatever ends. (I hope you made a good intention so that you can get rewarded for all that time you spend -- I'm doing it for Deen Games, personally.)
Anyway, the main question is: do we do it here, on the forums, or on DeviantArt?
I personally think forums will make it easier to police (keeping it Islamic, plus making sure people give proper crituques) -- but dA opens up possibilities to get more eyeballs and more advice from people who are better.
I also suggest an "SOF" format; you mention:
- Strengths (strong-points, things you liked)
- Opportunities (possibilities to improve it and make it uber)
- Fixes (things that are just wrong and need to be fixed).
Using my latest fish example (viewtopic.php?f=55&t=857&start=15#p10063
), a sample crituque I'd give myself is:
- fish gradient was awesome
- blurred background was good (kelp too)
- the helmet visor colouring/shading turned out nice
- general composition of the piece was good!
- Fish scales would have looked awesome
- Needs a weapon, maybe even a small sword hilt sticking up somewhere?
- Bubbles! Where are the bubbles?
- Could have used other (blurred/undetailed) fish/creatures in the background
- Some of the colour bleeds out of the lines
- The ground line is just uneven
- The lighting is pretty confused
Let's do this ....